- 1 How many copies does the average indie game sell?
- 2 What is a good price for an indie game?
- 3 What are the best selling indie games?
- 4 What percentage of Indie Games are successful?
- 5 Do indie developers make money?
- 6 How much do indie games earn?
- 7 Are indie games too cheap?
- 8 How much should I make my game cost?
- 9 How much does it cost to make an indie game by yourself?
- 10 Are indie games better than AAA?
- 11 What are the best free indie games?
- 12 Why are indie games so good?
- 13 Why do indie games fail?
- 14 Who is the richest video game designer?
- 15 Is being an indie game developer worth it?
How many copies does the average indie game sell?
Steam game revenue estimates An average indie game makes $3,947 (this is actually median, average is not a good measure as it’s significantly distorted by top earners).
What is a good price for an indie game?
Key consideration when pricing a game When looking at 2 of the most popular price tags for indie games – $4.99 and $9.99, a developer should at least consider the possibility of pricing the game at $14.99 or $19.99. You can sell half the copies and still make more money when you price them at $19.99 rather than $9.99.
What are the best selling indie games?
Highest selling Indie games of all time
- Limbo. Estimated Sales: 1,047,000 copies on XBLA, 3,207,480 owners on Steam.
- Rocket League. Estimated Sales: 10.5 million copies across all platforms.
- Castle Crashers. Estimated Sales: >2 million on XBLA, 2 to 5 million owners on Steam.
What percentage of Indie Games are successful?
So it’s save to say that less than 2/10 indie games are ever profitable. I’ve recently done some analysis on this and over 50% of indie games never make more than $4,000 on Steam.
Do indie developers make money?
It’s possible to make money off of indie games. In Eric Barone’s experience, he worked diligently for four years on the beloved Stardew Valley by himself. All while holding down another job and living off of more meager savings. “Stardew Valley probably earned about $24 million last year.
How much do indie games earn?
The majority (median 25 percent) of their games earn from $1,000 to $10,000. If you’re lucky, you’ll be in the next 20 percent above that, earning from $10k to 100k. But you’re more likely in the quarter below, earning only $100 to $1,000.
Are indie games too cheap?
Indie games are absolutely too cheap. Many don’t make enough to cover costs, causing teams to go broke. The median sales of a game is only 21,000 copies at $9, and it costs upwards of $260,000, and not many people can afford to spend $60k to make art, especially indie artists.
How much should I make my game cost?
A game development process may take from one month to a few years. You will sum the costs of a development team with rights, devices and software costs, and get the right amount. So, a game can cost you from $500 for a simple version with limited features to $300 mln for an action-adventure video game.
How much does it cost to make an indie game by yourself?
If I had to answer that question right away, I would say that the production of an independent video game costs, roughly speaking, between $1,000 and $10,000,000, so between one month and six years of development. Obviously, the cost will depend on the size of the project and therefore the development time.
Are indie games better than AAA?
However, because in indie games what’s most important is creativity, developer and art teams are much smaller than those the typical studios used to create AAA titles, so in most cases indie games will have errors, bugs, bad spelling, unfinished parts, bad programming, memory leaks, and in general they are lower
What are the best free indie games?
10 Indie Games You Can Play For Free
- 1 Coloring Pixels. If you’re looking for a relaxing game to spend some time with that’s also easy on the wallet, Coloring Pixels may be worth your time.
- 2 The Supper.
- 3 Backbone: Prologue.
- 4 Grimm’s Hollow.
- 5 Momodora I and II.
- 6 Doki Doki Literature Club.
- 7 Brawlhalla.
- 8 Yume Nikki.
Why are indie games so good?
Original Art, Story, and Characters. It gets tiring to play games that have the same type of style, characters, and stories. Indie studios can afford to take risks with games. That’s why you’ll see indie games that have a huge emphasis on art and story.
Why do indie games fail?
The main reasons indie games fail are over saturation and the lack of marketing. With so many marketing strategies out there, gaming studios have to adapt to the one that suits their game the most. Most of the times the marketing falls short for a game, making the game a tough sell.
Who is the richest video game designer?
Gabe Newell, Valve – $1.3 billion. Markus Persson, Mojang – $1.3 billion. Mark Pincus, Zynga – $990 million.
Is being an indie game developer worth it?
Indie games are not a get-rich-quick scheme. You’ll be working very hard at something unpredictable which may never pay off. If you feel like you need to make games, or even that they interest you on a deep level, it’s probably worth taking a stab at it.