- 1 How do I start an indie company?
- 2 How do you make an indie game successful?
- 3 Where do I start with indie game development?
- 4 How much does it cost to start an indie game studio?
- 5 Is being a indie game developer worth it?
- 6 What is the most successful indie game?
- 7 Can an indie game make money?
- 8 Why do indie games fail?
- 9 How difficult is it to make an indie game?
- 10 How much does an average indie game cost to make?
- 11 How many indie games are successful?
- 12 How many copies does the average indie game sell?
How do I start an indie company?
How to start your own games studio
- Have a unique identity.
- Get experience at a big studio.
- Work out your strengths.
- Go to events.
- Start with the boring business stuff.
- Stick to a healthy working schedule.
- Take ideas from everywhere.
- Get an advisory board.
How do you make an indie game successful?
What makes an indie game successful?
- Graphics & design are a minimum requirement.
- Gameplay & story matters, but only up to a point.
- Top games are better rated.
- Some genres are more successful than others.
- Low prices don’t lead to success.
- Accessibility is important.
- If you’re doing one thing right, make it marketing.
Where do I start with indie game development?
“The best way to get started is to just start making your first simple game,” says Moldenhauer. “If you’re a programmer, start building a core prototype for the gameplay. If you’re an artist, start creating usable assets for the game. If you’re a designer, start doing level layouts and specific gameplay concepts.
How much does it cost to start an indie game studio?
These days, I hire people to do the work on a freelance basis and it brings the cost of a small indie app or game to anywhere from $20,000 to $250,000, with the higher-end projects being funded by people other than myself (friends, crowdfunding, grants).
Is being a indie game developer worth it?
Indie games are not a get-rich-quick scheme. You’ll be working very hard at something unpredictable which may never pay off. If you feel like you need to make games, or even that they interest you on a deep level, it’s probably worth taking a stab at it.
What is the most successful indie game?
Minecraft. Markus Alexej Persson, more famously known as Notch, is the creator of Minecraft, the most wildly successfully indie game of all time.
Can an indie game make money?
It’s possible to make money off of indie games. In Eric Barone’s experience, he worked diligently for four years on the beloved Stardew Valley by himself. “Stardew Valley probably earned about $24 million last year. Steam Spy thinks that it earned $9.2 million in March after it released on February 26.
Why do indie games fail?
The main reasons indie games fail are over saturation and the lack of marketing. With so many marketing strategies out there, gaming studios have to adapt to the one that suits their game the most. Most of the times the marketing falls short for a game, making the game a tough sell.
How difficult is it to make an indie game?
To answer to your question, this is very difficult. It’s not any difficulty in being a game developer. Create few projects, publish them on many sites and you’re done! “Beware of the another game developer!
How much does an average indie game cost to make?
If I had to answer that question right away, I would say that the production of an independent video game costs, roughly speaking, between $1,000 and $10,000,000, so between one month and six years of development.
How many indie games are successful?
70% of all indie games are commercial failures. Of the 30% that are considered successful, only 7% of those games will generate enough revenue to fund a second project.
How many copies does the average indie game sell?
Steam game revenue estimates An average indie game makes $3,947 (this is actually median, average is not a good measure as it’s significantly distorted by top earners).