- 1 What is an indie business?
- 2 What makes a company an indie company?
- 3 How do I start an indie game company?
- 4 Do I need a company to sell my game?
- 5 What is the most successful indie game?
- 6 Are indie games better than AAA?
- 7 How much can I make from an indie game?
- 8 Who is the richest game maker?
- 9 How do you make an indie game successful?
- 10 How successful are indie games?
- 11 Can you publish a game without a company?
- 12 Do I need a company to sell a game on Steam?
- 13 Do I need a company to publish a game on Steam?
What is an indie business?
noun. an independently or privately owned business, especially a film or music company that is not affiliated with a larger and more commercial company: to work for an indie.
What makes a company an indie company?
Juul classified three ways games can be considered indie: those that are financially independent of large publishers, those that are aesthetically independent and significantly different of the mainstream art and visual styles used in AAA games, and those that present cultural ideas that are independent from mainstream
How do I start an indie game company?
How to start your own games studio
- Have a unique identity.
- Get experience at a big studio.
- Work out your strengths.
- Go to events.
- Start with the boring business stuff.
- Stick to a healthy working schedule.
- Take ideas from everywhere.
- Get an advisory board.
Do I need a company to sell my game?
You don’t need an LLC or other business entity to sell video games, but it is generally recommended if you are going to be “engaged in the trade or business” of selling video games. If these are your personal video games and you are just trying to get rid of them for some extra cash, no need to get an LLC.
What is the most successful indie game?
Minecraft. Markus Alexej Persson, more famously known as Notch, is the creator of Minecraft, the most wildly successfully indie game of all time.
Are indie games better than AAA?
However, because in indie games what’s most important is creativity, developer and art teams are much smaller than those the typical studios used to create AAA titles, so in most cases indie games will have errors, bugs, bad spelling, unfinished parts, bad programming, memory leaks, and in general they are lower
How much can I make from an indie game?
The majority (median 25 percent) of their games earn from $1,000 to $10,000. If you’re lucky, you’ll be in the next 20 percent above that, earning from $10k to 100k. But you’re more likely in the quarter below, earning only $100 to $1,000.
Who is the richest game maker?
The Richest Video Game Developers In The World [Updated 2021]
- Valve — $4 Billion.
- King — $5.69 Billion.
- Nintendo — $20.11 Billion.
- Electronic Arts — $22.90 Billion.
- Activision Blizzard — $29.23 Billion.
- Sony Entertainment — $45 Billion.
- Tencent — $48 Billion.
- Microsoft — $1 Trillion.
How do you make an indie game successful?
What makes an indie game successful?
- Graphics & design are a minimum requirement.
- Gameplay & story matters, but only up to a point.
- Top games are better rated.
- Some genres are more successful than others.
- Low prices don’t lead to success.
- Accessibility is important.
- If you’re doing one thing right, make it marketing.
How successful are indie games?
So it’s save to say that less than 2/10 indie games are ever profitable. I’ve recently done some analysis on this and over 50% of indie games never make more than $4,000 on Steam.
Can you publish a game without a company?
Anyone who does anything can be “a company”. There’s no need to incorporate or form an LLC. Those just provide some liability protection and you really have no liability in the app dev business. Just do it as a sole proprietorship.
Do I need a company to sell a game on Steam?
Currently, you can only sell a game on Steam if you’re the official owner or developer. You can’t sell a game you bought from Valve – Steam’s parent company – or from third parties. In the past, the rules on Steam were a bit different.
Do I need a company to publish a game on Steam?
You do not need to create a company. You could be liable, for instance, if you used someone’s trademark without a license.