- 1 How are indie games distributed?
- 2 Do I need a publisher for my indie game?
- 3 Where can I sell my indie game?
- 4 What platform should I release my game on?
- 5 What is the most successful indie game?
- 6 Are indie games better than AAA?
- 7 Can I publish my own game?
- 8 How much does it cost to publish a game?
- 9 Why do game developers need a publisher?
- 10 Why do most indie games fail?
- 11 How much money does an indie game make?
- 12 How much should I sell my indie game for?
- 13 Where can I upload my game for free?
- 14 How do I sell my game to a publisher?
- 15 How much does it cost to publish a game on GOG?
How are indie games distributed?
Indie games tend to be sold through digital distribution channels rather than at retail due to lack of publisher support. The term is synonymous with that of independent music or independent film in those respective mediums.
Do I need a publisher for my indie game?
If your experience is mainly in developing games but you have limited experience with the business side of things, you should definitely consider a publisher if you want to scale. But if you want to remain small and maintain full control, self-publishing may be a good option.
Where can I sell my indie game?
3 ways to sell your indie games
- Sell via platforms for gamers. Some of the most popular distribution platforms include Steam, Desura, and GOG.
- Sell to business. As opposed to gamer’s distribution platforms, developers can also sell their games to wholesale and retail businesses.
- Sell via your own website.
What platform should I release my game on?
Steam offers the largest and most well established PC distribution service around. They’re the ‘ultimate entertainment platform’ with over 100 million people in their community. If you want your game to be in the big leagues, this is where it needs to be.
What is the most successful indie game?
Minecraft. Markus Alexej Persson, more famously known as Notch, is the creator of Minecraft, the most wildly successfully indie game of all time.
Are indie games better than AAA?
However, because in indie games what’s most important is creativity, developer and art teams are much smaller than those the typical studios used to create AAA titles, so in most cases indie games will have errors, bugs, bad spelling, unfinished parts, bad programming, memory leaks, and in general they are lower
Can I publish my own game?
Self-publishing means you’re in charge of marketing your own game. You’re in charge of user acquisition and getting your game known—while shouldering all the costs. It means all the expenses associated with funding, developing, testing, marketing, and releasing the game are entirely up to you.
How much does it cost to publish a game?
The exact licensing fee varies based on the manufacturer, as well as any deals they may give a publisher, but it can generally be anywhere from $3 to $10 per unit.
Why do game developers need a publisher?
A publisher gives at least general guidelines to a developer what sort of game they want and then handle the money side of things while the developer focuses on making the game. Publishers will also have better access and more experience in how to effectively market and sell the game as well.
Why do most indie games fail?
The main reasons indie games fail are over saturation and the lack of marketing. With so many marketing strategies out there, gaming studios have to adapt to the one that suits their game the most. Most of the times the marketing falls short for a game, making the game a tough sell.
How much money does an indie game make?
Over 50% of indie games never make more than $4,000. These games never generate enough revenue to cover the development time and other costs. An average indie game makes $3,947 (this is actually median, average is not a good measure as it’s significantly distorted by top earners).
How much should I sell my indie game for?
When looking at 2 of the most popular price tags for indie games – $4.99 and $9.99, a developer should at least consider the possibility of pricing the game at $14.99 or $19.99. You can sell half the copies and still make more money when you price them at $19.99 rather than $9.99.
Where can I upload my game for free?
The 5 Best Free Places to Publish Your Game
- ITCH.IO. Itch.io is hands down the best platform available for indie game publishing.
- INDIEGAMESTAND. IndieGameStand is a robust platform to market your game, and is great for strong short term sales if you choose their pay-what-you-want deal.
- ROAST MY GAME.
How do I sell my game to a publisher?
7 Tips for Getting Your Game Published
- Go to conventions. Pitching publishers at conventions is a very effective tactic.
- Be respectful!
- Have a good elevator pitch.
- Be able to explain the core of your game in 15 minutes or less.
- Develop relationships and add value.
- Take feedback well.
- Don’t focus on money at first.
How much does it cost to publish a game on GOG?
You can’t chat with this user because you have blocked him. You can’t invite this user because you have blocked him. There is no cost to have a game on gOg. However, gOg is a heavily curated store, so they are very selective on which games they allow to be published here.