- 1 When did indie games become popular?
- 2 Why are indie games becoming popular?
- 3 Why do indie games fail?
- 4 Is indie game development dying?
- 5 What is the most successful indie game?
- 6 Are indie games better than AAA?
- 7 What indie game should I play?
- 8 How can I make my indie game popular?
- 9 How do you make an indie game successful?
- 10 How successful are indie games?
- 11 How much does the average indie game make?
- 12 How much do indie games cost to make?
When did indie games become popular?
This approach became popular with hobbyist games in the early 1990s, notably with the releases of Wolfenstein 3D and ZZT, “indie” games from fledgling developers id Software and Tim Sweeney (later founder of Epic Games), respectively.
Why are indie games becoming popular?
“Indie games are popular because they can take creative risks that are much greater than those AAA studios can. This means that you can get some truly innovative (and often deeply meaningful) games about a wide range of topics.”
Why do indie games fail?
The main reasons indie games fail are over saturation and the lack of marketing. With so many marketing strategies out there, gaming studios have to adapt to the one that suits their game the most. Most of the times the marketing falls short for a game, making the game a tough sell.
Is indie game development dying?
The full-time indie dream is, for all intents and purposes, dead. It’s rough, but the problem is that the supply of game developers and games is steadily increasing to the point that most additional games added to the app stores don’t matter. We see even developers on Steam now seeing diminished returns.
What is the most successful indie game?
Minecraft. Markus Alexej Persson, more famously known as Notch, is the creator of Minecraft, the most wildly successfully indie game of all time.
Are indie games better than AAA?
However, because in indie games what’s most important is creativity, developer and art teams are much smaller than those the typical studios used to create AAA titles, so in most cases indie games will have errors, bugs, bad spelling, unfinished parts, bad programming, memory leaks, and in general they are lower
What indie game should I play?
The best indie games are:
- Disco Elysium.
- Among Us.
- Fall Guys.
- Untitled Goose Game.
- Telling Lies.
- Hypnospace Outlaw.
- The Witness.
How can I make my indie game popular?
A Simple 10-Step Guide to Indie Game Marketing
- Start with focusing on ASO.
- Focus 100% on your soft launch.
- Leverage the power of word of mouth.
- Get yourself some paparazzi.
- Tap into the power of social media.
- Become active on forums and communities.
- Leverage cross-promotion.
- Focus on user relationships.
How do you make an indie game successful?
What makes an indie game successful?
- Graphics & design are a minimum requirement.
- Gameplay & story matters, but only up to a point.
- Top games are better rated.
- Some genres are more successful than others.
- Low prices don’t lead to success.
- Accessibility is important.
- If you’re doing one thing right, make it marketing.
How successful are indie games?
So it’s save to say that less than 2/10 indie games are ever profitable. I’ve recently done some analysis on this and over 50% of indie games never make more than $4,000 on Steam.
How much does the average indie game make?
An average indie game makes $3,947 (this is actually median, average is not a good measure as it’s significantly distorted by top earners). Over 2/3 of the games don’t cross $10,000 in life time earnings. However, the top 1/3 of the indie games are doing pretty well.
How much do indie games cost to make?
If I had to answer that question right away, I would say that the production of an independent video game costs, roughly speaking, between $1,000 and $10,000,000, so between one month and six years of development.