- 1 How do I start an indie game?
- 2 What does an indie game need?
- 3 Do I need a publisher for my indie game?
- 4 Where should I release my indie game?
- 5 What is the most successful indie game?
- 6 Why do most indie games fail?
- 7 Are indie games better than AAA?
- 8 How much can I make from an indie game?
- 9 Can one person make a Triple A game?
- 10 Can I publish my own game?
- 11 How much does it cost to publish a game?
- 12 Why do game developers need a publisher?
- 13 Do indie developers make money?
- 14 How do you make an indie game successful?
- 15 How do I market my indie game?
How do I start an indie game?
6 Steps to Getting Started in Indie Game Development
- Pick a (Small) Idea. New game developers are often inspired by the games they like to play.
- Pick an Engine or Framework.
- Create the Prototype.
- Find Assets.
- Turn it into a Complete Game.
- Start Something New!
What does an indie game need?
Typically, indie games are smaller than mainstream titles. Being independent, developers do not have controlling interests or creative limitations, and do not require the approval of a publisher, as mainstream game developers usually do.
Do I need a publisher for my indie game?
If your experience is mainly in developing games but you have limited experience with the business side of things, you should definitely consider a publisher if you want to scale. But if you want to remain small and maintain full control, self-publishing may be a good option.
Where should I release my indie game?
5 best platforms to publish your indie game
- Steam. Cost: $100 recoupable publishing fee for each game and the 70/30 revenue split.
- GOG. Cost: Submitting your game on GOG is free, but the revenue split is 70/30.
- Itch.io. Cost: Submission is free and sharing revenue with the platform is optional.
- Gamers Gate.
- Game Jolt.
What is the most successful indie game?
Minecraft. Markus Alexej Persson, more famously known as Notch, is the creator of Minecraft, the most wildly successfully indie game of all time.
Why do most indie games fail?
The main reasons indie games fail are over saturation and the lack of marketing. With so many marketing strategies out there, gaming studios have to adapt to the one that suits their game the most. Most of the times the marketing falls short for a game, making the game a tough sell.
Are indie games better than AAA?
However, because in indie games what’s most important is creativity, developer and art teams are much smaller than those the typical studios used to create AAA titles, so in most cases indie games will have errors, bugs, bad spelling, unfinished parts, bad programming, memory leaks, and in general they are lower
How much can I make from an indie game?
The majority (median 25 percent) of their games earn from $1,000 to $10,000. If you’re lucky, you’ll be in the next 20 percent above that, earning from $10k to 100k. But you’re more likely in the quarter below, earning only $100 to $1,000.
Can one person make a Triple A game?
If you’re trying to make a AAA console game, you’ll likely be less successful. All things considered, one person can indeed make a game of AAA caliber.
Can I publish my own game?
Self-publishing means you’re in charge of marketing your own game. You’re in charge of user acquisition and getting your game known—while shouldering all the costs. It means all the expenses associated with funding, developing, testing, marketing, and releasing the game are entirely up to you.
How much does it cost to publish a game?
The exact licensing fee varies based on the manufacturer, as well as any deals they may give a publisher, but it can generally be anywhere from $3 to $10 per unit.
Why do game developers need a publisher?
A publisher gives at least general guidelines to a developer what sort of game they want and then handle the money side of things while the developer focuses on making the game. Publishers will also have better access and more experience in how to effectively market and sell the game as well.
Do indie developers make money?
It’s possible to make money off of indie games. In Eric Barone’s experience, he worked diligently for four years on the beloved Stardew Valley by himself. All while holding down another job and living off of more meager savings. “Stardew Valley probably earned about $24 million last year.
How do you make an indie game successful?
What makes an indie game successful?
- Graphics & design are a minimum requirement.
- Gameplay & story matters, but only up to a point.
- Top games are better rated.
- Some genres are more successful than others.
- Low prices don’t lead to success.
- Accessibility is important.
- If you’re doing one thing right, make it marketing.
How do I market my indie game?
A Simple 10-Step Guide to Indie Game Marketing
- Start with focusing on ASO.
- Focus 100% on your soft launch.
- Leverage the power of word of mouth.
- Get yourself some paparazzi.
- Tap into the power of social media.
- Become active on forums and communities.
- Leverage cross-promotion.
- Focus on user relationships.