- 1 What gear do you need to make a short film?
- 2 How do you make an indie short film?
- 3 What does every short film need?
- 4 How do you release a short film?
- 5 How can I make a short film of myself?
- 6 What camera should a beginner filmmaker get?
- 7 Can short films make money?
- 8 Why do low budget movies look bad?
- 9 How much does an indie film cost?
- 10 What makes a good short?
- 11 How short can short films be?
- 12 Can a short film be 10 minutes?
- 13 Where do you put short films?
- 14 Where can I show short films?
What gear do you need to make a short film?
What do you need to make a movie?
- a mirrorless camera, DSLR or camcorder.
- microphones, headphones and maybe an audio recorder.
- a tripod to keep your shots steady.
- lights or reflectors.
- a computer with a good editing app.
How do you make an indie short film?
How to Make an Indie Movie
- Find your script. All films, regardless of the budget, start with a script.
- Sort your budget. Once you have your story, figure out how much money it’ll cost.
- Hire your crew.
- Get your cast.
- Prep your shoot days.
- Mind the post-production.
- Submit to film festivals.
What does every short film need?
A compelling story is at the heart of any short film, but the best short films have a clear, concise, and often very simple premise, which is necessary if you only have minutes to tell your entire story. If possible, give your main character a very specific goal or a short time frame to reach it.
How do you release a short film?
Short of the Week lays out a 10-part strategy to successfully release your short film in today’s marketplace.
- Create an Online + Festival Strategy.
- Secure Your Premiere.
- Find partners.
- Don’t prioritize money.
- Don’t sign away exclusivity.
- Go cross-platform.
- Internationalize your film.
- Compress your release window.
How can I make a short film of myself?
How to make a short film by yourself
- Come up with a great concept.
- Take your time to plan.
- Get creative with your restrictions.
- Ask friends or family to star or help out.
- Invest in a tripod and a decent microphone.
- Use free software as a ‘virtual crew’
- Learn from and collaborate with others in the filmmaking community.
What camera should a beginner filmmaker get?
4k mirrorless cameras are the best value option for getting started with creative low budget filmmaking. They’re affordable and fairly easy to use. They have larger sensors than most camcorders, which makes them better for low light shooting and creative shallow focus shots.
Can short films make money?
Short films, whether they are being shared online or through film festivals, are most profitable as a calling card that will get you more work. Use your short film to get hired on another filmmaker’s production in a role you can do. Use your short film as a proof of concept to sell a feature idea.
Why do low budget movies look bad?
Films don’t look cheap because they were filmed with cheap equipment. They look cheap when you have a crew that doesn’t know what they’re doing, or is not putting in the time required for a quality film, or you’re not working within the constraints of what you have.
How much does an indie film cost?
So, how much does it cost to make a low budget indie? Today, the average budget of an independent movie is roughly under $2 million. The costs of no-budget films are meager whereas a micro-budget ranges from a few thousand to $400000. A low budget movie usually falls between $400000 to $2 million.
What makes a good short?
A good short film expresses one concept or one idea in a complete way without unnecessary diversions and then gets to its point. The ending is important in a short film and the short film-maker needs to make sure their ending is satisfying, coherent and works with the rest of the film.
How short can short films be?
A short film is defined as an original motion picture that has a running time of 40 minutes or less, including all credits.
Can a short film be 10 minutes?
Although we recommend that students keep their films to 10-15 minutes, many of my students have made films that are 20-25 minutes. Because festivals often have a cut off of 30-minutes for short films, few of these films get accepted.
Where do you put short films?
Where are the best places to upload your short film online? Choosing a well-known service is your best bet for exposure. Services like Vimeo On Demand, Facebook, Youtube or BitTorrent will keep your costs low and offer access to a large audience. There are of course many many other platforms.
Where can I show short films?
We will start with the dedicated short film platform and Sofy.tv.
- Sofy.tv: A dedicated short film streaming platform.
- YouTube: The General Purpose Video Streaming Site.
- Filmsshort.com: Dedicated Platform Which Relies On YouTube or Vimeo.
- Netflix: The Film And TV Streaming Site.