- 1 What makes an indie author?
- 2 What indie books mean?
- 3 How much do indie authors make?
- 4 Who are some indie authors?
- 5 How much does a first time author make?
- 6 How do indie publishers make money?
- 7 What indie means?
- 8 How do you self-publish a novel?
- 9 Is self-publishing worth it?
- 10 Can a self-published book be a bestseller?
- 11 Can you make money writing romance novels?
- 12 How many self-published authors are successful?
- 13 How do I support an indie author?
- 14 Where can I find good indie books?
An indie author is a writer who publishes their work without the help of an established press. Often called self-publishing authors, they are responsible for editing, producing, distributing, and marketing the books they write. They are authors who have deals with small- and medium-sized traditional publishers.
What indie books mean?
Independent, or indie, publishing is the term used to describe the process of bringing a book to publication without going through a traditional publisher. When the indie label is affixed to a literary work, it simply means that the author is going it alone, independently from a traditional publishing house.
According to data from a new survey from Digital Book World and Writer’s Digest, the median income range for self-published authors is under $5,000 and nearly 20% of self-published authors report deriving no income from their writing.
10 Famous Indie Authors Who Didn’t Think They Would Make It
- Beatrix Potter – Peter Rabbit, Rejected By Every Publisher.
- John Locke – Writing for Laughs.
- Darcie Chan – The Book That Was Filed In The Drawer.
- Hugh Howey – Only a Part-Time Hobby.
- Amanda Hocking – Selling to Family and Friends.
As we can see from many authors and agents the average first time author is projected to earn around $10,000 for their new book. After you pay your agent and invest in promotion, there isn’t much left over.
How do indie publishers make money?
They want to put out a high quality book – so they’ll pay for services like editing and book design. They want it up in bookstores, so they’ll pay for distribution or assistance getting into iBooks, Kindle, etc. They could do most of it themselves, but many are happy to pay for hand-holding.
What indie means?
“Indie” is short for “independent.” Independently released music is not directly financially dependent on any of the four major labels (WMG, Sony BMG, EMI and Universal). “Indie” does not refer to a style of music; it refers to the financial circumstances of its distribution.
How do you self-publish a novel?
How to Self-Publish a Book in 7 Steps
- Write the book.
- Edit the manuscript.
- Design the cover and format the interior.
- Self-publish as an ebook and a print book.
- Master the Kindle store (and other retailers)
- Market your book effectively.
- Create an awesome launch plan.
Is self-publishing worth it?
Whether or not self-publishing or getting a publisher is better relies entirely upon your own goals and resources. If you want to have far more creative control but pay a little more upfront (with the knowledge you also make a lot more in royalties), self-publishing is the best route.
Can a self-published book be a bestseller?
It’s completely possible for best-selling authors to become millionaires by self-publishing on Amazon’s Kindle Direct Publishing platform.
Can you make money writing romance novels?
There are authors who earned over half a million dollars per year within three years, and many more who earn $8,000; $10,000 and $20,000 per month — all within a few years (or less) of starting to write romance.
The cat is out of the bag, finally we know exactly how many self-published authors make it big: 40. Yes, that’s not a typo. 40 self-published authors “make money”, all the others, and they number in the hundreds of thousands, don’t.
How to Support Your Favorite Indie Authors (It’s Easier Than You
- Buy Direct.
- Buy Strategically Online.
- Order the Book from Your Local Indie Bookstore.
- Request the Book at the Library.
- Leave a Review on Review Sites.
- Go to Events.
- Give Their Books as Gifts.
- Talk About Their Books on Social Media.
Where can I find good indie books?
Indiebound.org is a great resource for finding these bookstore gems to see if they offer any local indie finds. Social media is another great way to learn about and follow indie authors and readers. If you find an indie author you like, show them some love and follow them Facebook, Twitter, and GoodReads.