- 1 How much do indie authors make?
- 2 What is an indie book?
- 3 How do I become an indie author?
- 4 Who are some indie authors?
- 5 Is self-publishing worth it?
- 6 Can a self-published book be a bestseller?
- 7 How much does a first time author make?
- 8 What indie means?
- 9 How many books do indie authors sell?
- 10 Can an author make a living?
- 11 Do self publishers make money?
- 12 Can you make money as an indie author?
- 13 How many self-published authors are successful?
- 14 How do you self-publish a novel?
- 15 How do I support an indie author?
According to data from a new survey from Digital Book World and Writer’s Digest, the median income range for self-published authors is under $5,000 and nearly 20% of self-published authors report deriving no income from their writing.
What is an indie book?
The National Literary Awards defines independent or “indie” literature as “books published outside mainstream publishing.” Such books are rarely recognized and hard to pin down, but some examples include “Damastor” by Dimitri Iatrou, “Returning Home” by Marcus Blake and “Hope
11 Habits of a Six-Figure Income Indie Author
- Have a quality product.
- Treat books as business.
- Know your audience and categories.
- Publish a series if you can.
- Price competitively.
- Build a mailing list.
- Prioritise your ebooks.
- Experiment with publishing exclusively AND widely.
10 Famous Indie Authors Who Didn’t Think They Would Make It
- Beatrix Potter – Peter Rabbit, Rejected By Every Publisher.
- John Locke – Writing for Laughs.
- Darcie Chan – The Book That Was Filed In The Drawer.
- Hugh Howey – Only a Part-Time Hobby.
- Amanda Hocking – Selling to Family and Friends.
Is self-publishing worth it?
Whether or not self-publishing or getting a publisher is better relies entirely upon your own goals and resources. If you want to have far more creative control but pay a little more upfront (with the knowledge you also make a lot more in royalties), self-publishing is the best route.
Can a self-published book be a bestseller?
It’s completely possible for best-selling authors to become millionaires by self-publishing on Amazon’s Kindle Direct Publishing platform.
As we can see from many authors and agents the average first time author is projected to earn around $10,000 for their new book. After you pay your agent and invest in promotion, there isn’t much left over.
What indie means?
“Indie” is short for “independent.” Independently released music is not directly financially dependent on any of the four major labels (WMG, Sony BMG, EMI and Universal). “Indie” does not refer to a style of music; it refers to the financial circumstances of its distribution.
At a modest $2 royalty, which many indie authors make, you only need to sell 500 books to make $1,000 per month, which is $10,000 per year if you can do it consistently. Personally, I think all committed authors should aim for an author rank of 10,000 or less—not just to get there, but to sustain it long-term.
Writers can work full or part time, and earn a supplemental income to help cover the bills or generate a lucrative primary income. If you have the skills and the motivation, you get to define your own career.
Do self publishers make money?
And a whole lot of writers are making money from selling them. According to Amazon’s 2019 review of its Kindle sales, there are now thousands of self-published authors taking home royalties of over $50,000, while more than a thousand hit six-figure salaries from their book sales last year.
Most indie authors will never even make a minimum wage return for the time they spend writing. But some are able to make six figures or more and make it look easy. It just means you’re writing great books that people want to read. Successful books should always be about the reader, not about you.
The cat is out of the bag, finally we know exactly how many self-published authors make it big: 40. Yes, that’s not a typo. 40 self-published authors “make money”, all the others, and they number in the hundreds of thousands, don’t.
How do you self-publish a novel?
How to Self-Publish a Book in 7 Steps
- Write the book.
- Edit the manuscript.
- Design the cover and format the interior.
- Self-publish as an ebook and a print book.
- Master the Kindle store (and other retailers)
- Market your book effectively.
- Create an awesome launch plan.
How to Support Your Favorite Indie Authors (It’s Easier Than You
- Buy Direct.
- Buy Strategically Online.
- Order the Book from Your Local Indie Bookstore.
- Request the Book at the Library.
- Leave a Review on Review Sites.
- Go to Events.
- Give Their Books as Gifts.
- Talk About Their Books on Social Media.